Tuition Assistance And Yellow Ribbon Program Explained

The Post 9/11 GI Bill & The Yellow Ribbon Program (funded by the VA)

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement program is designed to help veteran students avoid paying out of pocket tuition expenses to attend schools where the tuition exceeds the Post 9/11 GI Bill Tuition Benefit. The school can waive up to 50% of the tuition benefit and the VA will match that same amount.

To break this down, if you are a Post 9/11 veteran and want to go to a college where the tuition exceeds the rate of the local public university, you will need to check to see if that college is in the Yellow Ribbon program if you want to avoid steep out of pocket tuition expenses.

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement program is for veterans that meet the following criteria:

Served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months

Were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and they served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001

Are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran's service under the eligibility criteria listed above

Detailed information regarding participating institutions can be found here.

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) and Spouse Tuition Assistance (MyCAA)

(funded by the DOD)

Military tuition assistance (TA) covers 100% tuition and fees, not to exceed $250 per semester credit hour for military personnel. Spouse tuition assistance is also called Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) which provides up to $4,000 of financial assistance for military spouses in selected fields. MyCAA is available to spouses of active duty service members (excluding Coast Guard spouses) in pay grades E1-E5 and O1-O2 and is only applicable for associate degrees and certifications.

Each branch of the service has separate application procedures for TA, including MyCAA.